DX (16*24) lenses for FX (24*36) format ?
It is well known that DX lenses are not constructed to fit the FX format.
However the question arises: can we get any useful result if we try it?
I mean yes indeed: the result varies from lens to lens!
For example a great lens is the Nikon 35 1.8 DX like showed in
Three aspects are interesting to use DX for FX:
1) To achieve special effects
2) You have a small and light DX lens with VR
3) You can accept that the zoom range is limited
Now the shots of two zoom lenses are shown:
1) Sigma 55-200 DC HSM OS ephotozine test
- Strong vignetting is visible for 50 mm and 70 mm.
- The vignetting drops at around 100 mm and "disappear" at 200 mm
Conclusion: a cheap zoom lens in the range of 100 - 200 but with VR!!!
2) Nikon 16-85 VR photozone test
You have always vignetting!
But it can be used to get a nice effect at 85 mm, see example below
"Macro" Shot with nice vignetting effect F =85 mm